Africa Intel
18.5K subscribers
7.32K photos
1.24K videos
595 links
Main African Newsfeed

Support: https://buymeacoffee.com/indjournalism

Share the news: @africaintel_bot
Download Telegram
๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ผ Abducted Zimbabwe opposition activist found dead

A Zimbabwe opposition activist who was abducted days ago while campaigning ahead of key by-elections has been found dead.

Tapfumanei Masaya's body was found in a decomposed state on the outskirts of the capital Harare, his party, the Citizens Coalition for Change, said.

In a statement, the police confirmed the location of a body but said its identity was yet to be established and more details would be released later.

The CCC says the activist had been forced into a vehicle by armed men on Saturday while campaigning for a party candidate ahead of the 9 December polls.

The CCC has blamed state agents for the violence against its members - which the ruling Zanu-PF party has denied.

The abduction and the death of the activist follows a pattern of abductions of opposition politicians.

#Zimbabwe

@africaintel
๐Ÿ˜ข23๐Ÿคฌ11๐Ÿค”4๐Ÿ‘3๐Ÿ˜ˆ1
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฌ Magnitude 4.9 earthquake strikes South Sudan-Uganda border region

An earthquake of magnitude 4.9 struck the area around the border between South Sudan and Uganda on Monday, the European Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC) said.

The quake was at a depth of 8 km, EMSC said.

There are no reports of injured people or destroyed buildings.

#SouthSudan #Uganda

@africaintel
โค8๐Ÿค”5๐Ÿ˜ฑ2๐Ÿ˜ข2๐Ÿ‘1
Africa Intel
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฌ Captured ADF leader after the dead tourists investigation also accused of school massacre An ADF militia commander arrested for the murder of two foreign tourists in Uganda has also been charged with a school massacre in June, a Ugandan general said. โ€ฆ
๐Ÿด๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฌ IS-allied rebel group commander charged with murder of honeymooning tourists in Uganda

A commander in an Islamic State-allied rebel group was charged on Monday with nine offences including the murder of a honeymooning tourist couple and their aide in Uganda's Queen Elizabeth National Park.

Kyoto Abdul Rashid, of the militant Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), was captured earlier this month in a night-time operation by the Ugandan military in which six rebels were also killed.

Rashid "with malice aforethought caused the murder" of the couple David and Celia Barlow and their Ugandan aide Eric Ayai, according to a charge sheet.

Rashid was also accused of engaging in acts of violence aimed at causing the death of the three victims "for purposes of influencing the government or intimidating the public."

#Uganda

@africaintel
๐Ÿ‘18๐Ÿ‘1๐Ÿคฃ1๐Ÿ–•1๐Ÿ˜ˆ1
๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Nigerians heading for Saudi pilgrimage forced back home

More than 170 Nigerians on a flight to Saudi Arabia were turned back on arrival on Monday after Saudi authorities reportedly abruptly revoked their visas.

Reports say that 264 passengers, who had departed from the Nigerian cities of Lagos and Kano, were reportedly granted visas and thoroughly screened before boarding.

However, all their visas were reportedly revoked while they were airborne.

On arrival, Saudi authorities reportedly refused to grant entry and instructed the Nigerian Air Peace airline to return them to Nigeria, reports add.

Saudi authorities have not commented on the matter.

Saudi Arabia is said to have ultimately allowed entry to 87 passengers after intervention by the Nigerian embassy there, but 177 were repatriated to Nigeria on Monday night.

#Nigeria #SaudiArabia

@africaintel
๐Ÿค”15๐Ÿคฌ5๐Ÿ˜4๐Ÿ‘3
Africa Intel
๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฌ Madagascar's Rajoelina seeks re-election after weeks of opposition protests Madagascar's president is set to seek re-election on Thursday in the face of weeks of protests by opposition groups who say he is ineligible to run and the vote should be delayed.โ€ฆ
๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฌ Madagascar opposition call for poll boycott amid tension

Madagascarโ€™s Collectif de Dix opposition coalition of 10 parties has called on voters to boycott Thursday presidential election.

Ten of the 13 presidential candidates registered for the election have been demanding an overhaul of the countryโ€™s highest court and the electoral commission before the polls take place.

They allege that incumbent President Andry Rajoelina, who is seeking re-election, is ineligible due to the French citizenship he acquired in 2014, an accusation he has dismissed.

Rajoelina has urged the public to ignore the opposition calls for a boycott and turn out in large numbers for Thursdayโ€™s polls.

#Madagascar

@africaintel
๐Ÿ‘8๐Ÿ˜2
โšก๏ธ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฑ Malian Armed Forces entered the improvised capital of Tuareg rebels in north-eastern Mali

Malian Armed Forces have finally took positions in the city of Kidal, which has been an improvised capital for the Coordination of Azawad Movements in north-eastern Mali.

Tuareg rebels accounts on social media also confirm this information.

Although the battle for Kidal isn't over yet, this marks a big milestone for FAMa's campaign against the Azawad militants.

However, the loss of the city will not mean the end of the rebellion, since for the Coordination of Azawad Movement Kidal is just another city, since they consider entire south Sahara and north Sahel regions their home.

#Mali

@africaintel
๐ŸŽ‰29๐Ÿ‘8๐Ÿ”ฅ3โค1๐Ÿฅฐ1
๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฌ Nigeria in talks with Islamic bank for infrastructure finance

Nigerian President Bola Tinubu met top officials of the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) to negotiate a "multi-billion dollar infrastructure finance facility" to help build ports and power plants, his spokesperson said.

Tinubu held talks with IsDB vice president Mansur Muhtar late on Monday in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, spokesperson Ajuri Ngelale said in a statement. He didn't provide further details of the finance package sought by the Nigerian government.

"We have serious deficits in port infrastructure, power infrastructure, and agro-allied facilities," Tinubu said in the statement.

#Nigeria

@africaintel
๐Ÿ‘12๐Ÿคก3๐Ÿคฎ1
Africa Intel
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ด Somalia floods death toll rises to 31 Floods caused by torrential rainfall have killed at least 31 people in Somalia, authorities said. Various parts of Somalia including Hiran state in the centre or Gedo region in the south, have been affected. Sinceโ€ฆ
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ด Somalis going hungry after floods said the president

Flooding in Somalia has left residents without homes and food shortages.

Around 1.6 million people in Somalia are thought to be affected by the heavy seasonal downpours.

The UN Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs says the flooding has been worsened by the El Niรฑo effect, which is causing changes in weather patterns around the world.

Somalia's President, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, said: "The people have been displaced, homes and properties destroyed, the people are hungry, and that is our problem right now, that is what we are focusing on."

The president also expressed concern about the added risk of outbreaks of diseases such as malaria and cholera.

#Somalia

@africaintel
๐Ÿ˜ข16๐Ÿ”ฅ4๐Ÿ‘3๐Ÿฅฐ1๐Ÿ˜ฑ1
๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡น Thousands flee attacks in Ethiopia's Amhara region

Thousands of farmers from the Bure area in Ethiopia's Amhara region have crossed into the neighbouring region of Oromia after fresh attacks have claimed dozens of lives, according to residents.

They said two villages - Bakko Tabo and Sontoma - were mainly targeted.

They have blamed members of Fanno militias, a group fighting government troops in the volatile north-western Amhara, Ethiopia's second-most populous region.

But it's not clear how many have been killed from the attacks that lasted for days.

"We were unable to bury dead bodies. I don't know the fate of elders who we left behind," said residents.

#Ethiopia

@africaintel
๐Ÿ˜ข12๐Ÿ˜4๐Ÿ˜ฑ1
๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฌ Nigeria unions call for nationwide strike despite court order

Nigeria's two largest labour unions, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC), have declared an indefinite nationwide strike starting Tuesday, defying a court order.

The unions are protesting against the soaring cost of living and increased fuel prices.

TUC President Festus Osifo stated that the strike will persist until "governments at all levels wake up to their responsibilities." This marks the unions' third strike threat since President Tinubu assumed office in May.

Despite a recent court order attempting to prevent the strike, its duration remains uncertain. Anticipated repercussions include disruptions to vital services such as hospitals, railway stations, and schools.

#Nigeria

@africaintel
๐Ÿ”ฅ13๐Ÿ‘Ž3โค1๐Ÿ‘1๐Ÿคฏ1
๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฉ M23 rebels recapture Kishishe in the eastern DR Congo, where they are accused of a massacre in 2022

The M23 rebels have retaken the village of Kishishe in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, where they are accused of having committed a massacre at the end of November 2022, killing some 170 people according to the UN.

"The invaders launched large-scale attacks," said an officer, claiming that the rebels had received reinforcements from the Rwandan army. "It is Rwandans who are attacking us," he added.

"Kishishe has been controlled by the M23" since late Monday afternoon, said a local civil society representative.

"The M23 is in Kishishe. The population has fled to (the neighbouring localities of) Kirima, Mutanda, Kanyabayonga and Kibirizi", said a village official."There is great tension in Kibirizi, where displaced people are arriving in droves", said one resident.

#DRC

@africaintel
๐Ÿคฌ15๐Ÿ”ฅ3๐Ÿ‘2โค1๐Ÿ–•1
๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ผ Ex-gynaecologist on trial in France over Rwanda genocide

A former gynaecologist from Rwanda has gone on trial in France on charges of genocide and crimes against humanity.

In 1995 - a year after the Rwandan genocide - a complaint was filed against Sosthene Munyemana in the city of Bordeaux.

It took French prosecutors 28 years to bring the case to trial.

Munyemana, who has lived in France since 1994, is accused of organising torture and killings.

The defence lawyer argues he worked to prevent the genocide.

#France #Rwanda

@africaintel
๐Ÿ‘23๐Ÿค”4๐Ÿคจ2โค1
๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ South African petrochemical company Sasol's chairman resigns

South African petrochemical company Sasol said on Monday that Sipho Nkosi had stepped down as non-executive director and chairman of the board, effective November 10.

The resignation comes as "he was concerned that some of his business interests may be perceived to place him in conflict with the interests of Sasol," the company said in a statement.

Stephen Westwell, a non-executive and lead independent director, was appointed a chairman of the board from November 11, the statement said.

#SouthAfrica

@africaintel
๐Ÿ‘11๐Ÿ˜2
๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ช Kenya bids to increase forest cover by 3% in next ten years

Kenyaโ€™s current forest cover currently stands at about 7%, but the government has set aside more than 80 million US dollars this financial year, as it bids to increase tree cover to more than 10%.

Chief of Staff and Head of Public Service, Felix Koskei, encouraged Nairobi natives to plant trees in order to achieve the target of 30% forest cover in the capital.

"We have a target of 15 billion trees in ten years, meaning that we should be at 1.5 billion trees per year. We have to be out there, to play our part and be part of the history," said Koskei.

Kenya continues to suffer from an illegal logging and trade in many of its forests that are vital to the country's water catchment areas.

#Kenya

@africaintel
๐Ÿ‘18๐Ÿฅฐ1๐Ÿ‘1๐Ÿฅด1
๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฑ Wagner fighters in Kidal liberated from the militants of Tuareg groups.

#Mali #Wagner

@africaintel
๐Ÿ”ฅ48๐Ÿพ20๐Ÿ‘7๐Ÿคฎ5๐Ÿ‘ป4