Africa Intel
๐ฎ๐น๐น๐ณ๐ฐ Italy Prime Minister hopes trip to Tunisia may unblock IMF loan Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni will travel to Tunisia on Tuesday looking to make progress in unblocking loans from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for the north African state.โฆ
๐ฎ๐น๐น๐ณ Italy's Prime Minister visits Tunisia to discuss migration
Italy's Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has travelled to Tunisia to discuss the issue of irregular migration.
Meloni's visit follows a call between her and President Kais Saied earlier this week, to address border surveillance and repatriation of undocumented migrants who cross the Mediterranean.
The two leaders were also expected to talk about energy questions and financial issues that Tunisia is facing.
Tunisia is trying to secure funds from the European Union while struggling with reforms requested by the International Monetary Fund.
Saied has challenged what he called IMF diktats after the body made the granting of a loan to Tunisia conditional on economic reforms and the lifting of certain state subsidies.
#Italy #Tunisia
@africaintel
Italy's Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has travelled to Tunisia to discuss the issue of irregular migration.
Meloni's visit follows a call between her and President Kais Saied earlier this week, to address border surveillance and repatriation of undocumented migrants who cross the Mediterranean.
The two leaders were also expected to talk about energy questions and financial issues that Tunisia is facing.
Tunisia is trying to secure funds from the European Union while struggling with reforms requested by the International Monetary Fund.
Saied has challenged what he called IMF diktats after the body made the granting of a loan to Tunisia conditional on economic reforms and the lifting of certain state subsidies.
#Italy #Tunisia
@africaintel
๐คฎ21โค7๐4๐1
๐ธ๐ณ Senegal shuts consulates abroad after attacks
Senegal has temporarily closed its consulates abroad following attacks on diplomatic missions in Bordeaux, Milan, Paris and New York among others.
The foreign affairs ministry said in a statement on Tuesday that the precautionary measure followed โa series of aggressions that caused serious damageโ.
The closures come amid political tensions in Senegal following the sentencing of opposition leader Ousmane Sonko last week to two years in prison which led to deadly protests.
Italian media reported on Monday that about 40 Sonko supporters had gathered outside the consulate with flags and anti-government signs - breaking in and ransacking the offices before the police intervened.
#Senegal
@africaintel
Senegal has temporarily closed its consulates abroad following attacks on diplomatic missions in Bordeaux, Milan, Paris and New York among others.
The foreign affairs ministry said in a statement on Tuesday that the precautionary measure followed โa series of aggressions that caused serious damageโ.
The closures come amid political tensions in Senegal following the sentencing of opposition leader Ousmane Sonko last week to two years in prison which led to deadly protests.
Italian media reported on Monday that about 40 Sonko supporters had gathered outside the consulate with flags and anti-government signs - breaking in and ransacking the offices before the police intervened.
#Senegal
@africaintel
๐5๐ค3๐ฑ1
๐ฐ๐ช Kenya to turn cult forest into a memorial site
Kenyaโs interior minister says the government will convert the Shakahola forest, where more than 250 members of a Christian cult followers died, into a national memorial.
Kithure Kindiki said once the recovery of the bodies buried in the 800-acre forest was complete, the place will be turned into โa place of remembranceโ so that people donโt forget what happened there.
He said the government had enough evidence to prosecute the leader of the cult and the main suspect, Pastor Paul Mackenzie, for genocide after he allegedly convinced his followers to fast to death in order to go to heaven.
Since the operation started in April, 251 bodies have been recovered. Ninety-five people have been rescued from the forest and 35 suspects arrested.
#Kenya
@africaintel
Kenyaโs interior minister says the government will convert the Shakahola forest, where more than 250 members of a Christian cult followers died, into a national memorial.
Kithure Kindiki said once the recovery of the bodies buried in the 800-acre forest was complete, the place will be turned into โa place of remembranceโ so that people donโt forget what happened there.
He said the government had enough evidence to prosecute the leader of the cult and the main suspect, Pastor Paul Mackenzie, for genocide after he allegedly convinced his followers to fast to death in order to go to heaven.
Since the operation started in April, 251 bodies have been recovered. Ninety-five people have been rescued from the forest and 35 suspects arrested.
#Kenya
@africaintel
๐10๐ฅ1๐1
๐ต๐น๐ฟ๐ฆ Portuguese president on a state visit to South Africa
South Africa's leader welcomed on Tuesday his Portuguese counterpart.
Portugalโs president who was on a state visit saw Lisbon and Pretoria signed an agreement on Defence Cooperation. Marcelo Rebelo De Sousa and his counterpart discussed the ongoing conflict in Mozambique.
The talks of the two nations leaders which took place in Pretoria also focused on opportunities of mutual benefit in science and innovation, education and energy.
Cyril Ramaphosa detailed during a press conference, the meeting he held the previous day with heads of states from Zambia, Senegal, the Republic of Congo, Uganda and Egypt. The Presidents confirmed their availability to travel to Ukraine and Russia in mid June, according to the Sout African presidency.
#Portugal #SouthAfrica
@africaintel
South Africa's leader welcomed on Tuesday his Portuguese counterpart.
Portugalโs president who was on a state visit saw Lisbon and Pretoria signed an agreement on Defence Cooperation. Marcelo Rebelo De Sousa and his counterpart discussed the ongoing conflict in Mozambique.
The talks of the two nations leaders which took place in Pretoria also focused on opportunities of mutual benefit in science and innovation, education and energy.
Cyril Ramaphosa detailed during a press conference, the meeting he held the previous day with heads of states from Zambia, Senegal, the Republic of Congo, Uganda and Egypt. The Presidents confirmed their availability to travel to Ukraine and Russia in mid June, according to the Sout African presidency.
#Portugal #SouthAfrica
@africaintel
๐คก12๐7๐2๐2๐2
๐ธ๐ฉ๐จ๐ซ๐บ๐ณ Sudanese families seek safety in the Central African Republic
Families fleeing conflict in Sudan are seeking safety in the Central African Republic (CAR). The UNHCR says it is racing against time to relocate the thousands of arrivals before the rains come.
In the meantime the UNHCR and the World Food Programme (WFP) say they are attempting to build shelters, latrines and provide water and food for up to 14,000 refugees who have arrived in CAR.
The majority of new arrivals are women and children from Nyala in Sudan, who say they faced threats by armed men, extortion of goods, physical aggression and sexual violence. UNHCR said emergency teams were identifying and referring people with specific needs for protection, counselling or medical assistance.
#Sudan #CAR #UN
@africaintel
Families fleeing conflict in Sudan are seeking safety in the Central African Republic (CAR). The UNHCR says it is racing against time to relocate the thousands of arrivals before the rains come.
In the meantime the UNHCR and the World Food Programme (WFP) say they are attempting to build shelters, latrines and provide water and food for up to 14,000 refugees who have arrived in CAR.
The majority of new arrivals are women and children from Nyala in Sudan, who say they faced threats by armed men, extortion of goods, physical aggression and sexual violence. UNHCR said emergency teams were identifying and referring people with specific needs for protection, counselling or medical assistance.
#Sudan #CAR #UN
@africaintel
๐5๐1
๐ช๐น Ethiopia rejects HRW accusations of "ethnic cleansing" in Tigray
The Ethiopian government on Tuesday rejected recent accusations by Human Rights Watch (HRW) of a campaign of "ethnic cleansing" in the western region of Tigray, which it said were not based on "any evidence".
In a report published on 1 June, the human rights organisation claims that paramilitary units and militias from the neighbouring Ahmara region continue to "forcibly expel Tigrayans" from the Western Tigray Zone "as part of a campaign of ethnic cleansing".
HRW "published these accusations without carrying out a rigorous and credible investigation in the areas concerned" and they "are not supported by any evidence", the Ethiopian government's Communications Service said.
"This distorted and misleading description of the situation is aimed at undermining peaceful coexistence, fuelling inter-ethnic conflict, and preventing national efforts for peace and reconciliation in Ethiopia", the government continued.
#Ethiopia
@africaintel
The Ethiopian government on Tuesday rejected recent accusations by Human Rights Watch (HRW) of a campaign of "ethnic cleansing" in the western region of Tigray, which it said were not based on "any evidence".
In a report published on 1 June, the human rights organisation claims that paramilitary units and militias from the neighbouring Ahmara region continue to "forcibly expel Tigrayans" from the Western Tigray Zone "as part of a campaign of ethnic cleansing".
HRW "published these accusations without carrying out a rigorous and credible investigation in the areas concerned" and they "are not supported by any evidence", the Ethiopian government's Communications Service said.
"This distorted and misleading description of the situation is aimed at undermining peaceful coexistence, fuelling inter-ethnic conflict, and preventing national efforts for peace and reconciliation in Ethiopia", the government continued.
#Ethiopia
@africaintel
๐6๐คฌ1
๐ธ๐ฉ Sudanese warring factions to resume indirect talks as clashes intensify
Sudan's warring military factions are restarting ceasefire talks sponsored by the United States and Saudi Arabia.
The fighting between the army and paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, now in its eighth week, has caught civilians in the crossfire, cutting of their access to basic services, and spread lawlessness.
Talks between warring factions collapsed last week after the mediators said there had been numerous serious violations.
Saudi-owned Al Arabiya said the two sides had agreed to indirect talks without providing details.
Burhan emphasized the need for the RSF to exit hospitals, public facilities, and homes and to open safe pathways in order for "the Jeddah platform" to succeed, the statement said.
#Sudan
@africaintel
Sudan's warring military factions are restarting ceasefire talks sponsored by the United States and Saudi Arabia.
The fighting between the army and paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, now in its eighth week, has caught civilians in the crossfire, cutting of their access to basic services, and spread lawlessness.
Talks between warring factions collapsed last week after the mediators said there had been numerous serious violations.
Saudi-owned Al Arabiya said the two sides had agreed to indirect talks without providing details.
Burhan emphasized the need for the RSF to exit hospitals, public facilities, and homes and to open safe pathways in order for "the Jeddah platform" to succeed, the statement said.
#Sudan
@africaintel
๐3๐ญ3
๐ธ๐ฑ๐ฉ๐ฟ๐บ๐ณ Sierra Leone, Algeria elected to UN Security Council
Sierra Leone and Algeria have been elected non-permanent members of the UN Security Council representing Africa.
Sierra Leonean President Julius Maada Bio termed the election โa generational accomplishmentโ . He said it โrepresented our unique success as a democratic and peaceful country of resilienceโ that had successfully transitioned from war to peace.
The new members will take up their seats on 1 January and will serve until 31 December 2025.
The Security Council is composed of 15 countries, five of which - China, France, Russia, the UK and the US โ are permanent members with a right to veto any resolution.
#SierraLeone #Algeria #UN
@africaintel
Sierra Leone and Algeria have been elected non-permanent members of the UN Security Council representing Africa.
Sierra Leonean President Julius Maada Bio termed the election โa generational accomplishmentโ . He said it โrepresented our unique success as a democratic and peaceful country of resilienceโ that had successfully transitioned from war to peace.
The new members will take up their seats on 1 January and will serve until 31 December 2025.
The Security Council is composed of 15 countries, five of which - China, France, Russia, the UK and the US โ are permanent members with a right to veto any resolution.
#SierraLeone #Algeria #UN
@africaintel
๐13๐คฎ3๐1๐คฌ1
๐ฌ๐ญ Ghana police fined for not complying with brutality probe
The police in Ghana have been fined more than $8,800 for failing to release information over alleged brutality in compliance with a directive by a commission.
Ghana's Right to Information Commission had directed the police to provide the information requested by the Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative (CHRI) Africa, an international non-governmental organisation that focuses on access to justice.
The commission in a statement said that the police had breached the law and imposed an administrative fine which the police are required to pay within 14 days.
It further stated that police had undermined the right of access to information. There will be an additional penalty interest of 10% if they fail to comply.
The police have often come under severe criticism and scrutiny over reports of brutality and rights abuse against individuals.
#Ghana
@africaintel
The police in Ghana have been fined more than $8,800 for failing to release information over alleged brutality in compliance with a directive by a commission.
Ghana's Right to Information Commission had directed the police to provide the information requested by the Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative (CHRI) Africa, an international non-governmental organisation that focuses on access to justice.
The commission in a statement said that the police had breached the law and imposed an administrative fine which the police are required to pay within 14 days.
It further stated that police had undermined the right of access to information. There will be an additional penalty interest of 10% if they fail to comply.
The police have often come under severe criticism and scrutiny over reports of brutality and rights abuse against individuals.
#Ghana
@africaintel
๐5
๐ฟ๐ฆ 8 dead in South Africa shooting at men's hostel near Durban
Gunmen burst into a room at a men's hostel near the eastern South African city of Durban, killing eight people and leaving two others injured, police said on Sunday.
Seven men were declared dead immediately after the shooting in the pre-dawn hours of Saturday in the Umlazi township. An eighth man died on Sunday, police said.
Two others are hospitalized with injuries, and they include a man who jumped out of the window of the hostel room to escape the gunfire. Police said that 12 men were in the room drinking alcohol when numerous gunmen broke in, shot at them and then fled.
#SouthAfrica
@africaintel
Gunmen burst into a room at a men's hostel near the eastern South African city of Durban, killing eight people and leaving two others injured, police said on Sunday.
Seven men were declared dead immediately after the shooting in the pre-dawn hours of Saturday in the Umlazi township. An eighth man died on Sunday, police said.
Two others are hospitalized with injuries, and they include a man who jumped out of the window of the hostel room to escape the gunfire. Police said that 12 men were in the room drinking alcohol when numerous gunmen broke in, shot at them and then fled.
#SouthAfrica
@africaintel
๐คฌ13๐ข4๐4โค1๐1
Africa Intel
๐ฎ๐ฑ๐ช๐ฌ Israel demands Egypt help in full probe of deadly attack at border Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday called the killing of three soldiers by a member of the Egyptian security services a terrorist attack and demanded a full joint investigationโฆ
๐ช๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ฑ Sissi-Netanyahu telephone conversation after rare border incident
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sissi spoke on the phone to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday following an incident on the border between the two countries, the Egyptian presidency announced.
Sissi received a call from Netanyahu "concerning the exchange of fire that took place on the Egyptian-Israeli border" on Saturday, and they stressed "the importance of coordination between the two countries to clarify the circumstances" of this incident, the spokesman for the Egyptian presidency said.
Sissi "offered his condolences" to Netanyahu, according to the Israeli Prime Minister's office.
#Egypt #Israel
@africaintel
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sissi spoke on the phone to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday following an incident on the border between the two countries, the Egyptian presidency announced.
Sissi received a call from Netanyahu "concerning the exchange of fire that took place on the Egyptian-Israeli border" on Saturday, and they stressed "the importance of coordination between the two countries to clarify the circumstances" of this incident, the spokesman for the Egyptian presidency said.
Sissi "offered his condolences" to Netanyahu, according to the Israeli Prime Minister's office.
#Egypt #Israel
@africaintel
๐คฎ8๐6๐คฃ3
๐ท๐บ๐บ๐ฆ๐ฟ๐ฆ Putin discusses Ukraine in call with Ramaphosa
Russian President Vladimir Putin has held a phone call with his South African counterpart Cyril Ramaphosa, the Kremlin said on Wednesday.
The two leaders discussed "issues related to the well-known African initiative to find a solution to the Ukrainian conflict," it added.
According to the statement, Putin will receive a delegation of several African heads of state in the near future.
"Preparations for the second Russia-Africa summit in St Petersburg at the end of July and the upcoming BRICS summit in Johannesburg in August were also discussed," the Kremlin said.
#Russia #Ukraine #SouthAfrica
@africaintel
Russian President Vladimir Putin has held a phone call with his South African counterpart Cyril Ramaphosa, the Kremlin said on Wednesday.
The two leaders discussed "issues related to the well-known African initiative to find a solution to the Ukrainian conflict," it added.
According to the statement, Putin will receive a delegation of several African heads of state in the near future.
"Preparations for the second Russia-Africa summit in St Petersburg at the end of July and the upcoming BRICS summit in Johannesburg in August were also discussed," the Kremlin said.
#Russia #Ukraine #SouthAfrica
@africaintel
๐16๐คก9๐ค3โค1