Africa Intel
18.6K subscribers
7.32K photos
1.24K videos
595 links
Main African Newsfeed

Support: https://buymeacoffee.com/indjournalism

Share the news: @africaintel_bot
Download Telegram
๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ด๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡น Angola and Portugal sign new cooperation agreement

The president of Angola, Joรฃo Lourenรงo, has welcomed the Portuguese president, Antรณnio Costa, in the capital, Luanda, on Monday.

Ministers from both countries signed a total of 13 agreements ranging from financial to legal. The Portuguese prime minister announced a significant increase in the credit line granted to Angola.

"To support the Angolan government's ambition and strategic approach to diversifying the country's economy, we have significantly increased the credit line from one thousand five hundred to two billion euros", announced prime minister of Portugal.

The cooperation program signed between Portugal and Angola will last until 2027.

#Angola #Portugal

@africaintel
๐Ÿคฎ12๐ŸŒ4๐Ÿ”ฅ3โค1๐Ÿ‘Ž1
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ธ South Sudan struggles to clear mines as 2026 deadline approaches

12 years after South Sudanโ€™s independence, landmines are still a threat. Over 5,000 people have been killed or injured by unexploded ordnances and land mines since 2004, according to the UN Mine Action Service.

By the end of 2021, the state had the most areas contaminated with cluster munitions in the nation -- 55 out of a total of 130 -- according to Mine Action Review.

South Sudanโ€™s given UN Mine Action Service until 2026 to clear all anti-personnel minefields in the country. As munitions are being found daily many fear the deadline won't be kept.

With elections scheduled for next year, locals say they want to clear contaminated areas so those who have fled can return.

#SouthSudan

@africaintel
๐Ÿ‘7
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ณ At least 7 schoolgirls drowned in the sinking of a canoe in Guinea

At least seven young schoolgirls who were going to take college entrance exams on Monday drowned after their canoe capsized on the Niger River near the town of Kouroussa in Upper Guinea, said a minister.

"We are struck by this bad news of the shipwreck of seven students who have lost their lives," said the Minister of Pre-university Education and Literacy, who is in the region for launch the first tests of the examination.

Local sources assured that the toll was only provisional and could be heavier. The operations to find bodies continue.

#Guinea

@africaintel
๐Ÿ˜ข11๐Ÿคฌ3๐Ÿ‘Ž1๐Ÿ”ฅ1
๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฉ DR Congo opposition politician accused of coup plot

The right-hand man of the Democratic Republic of Congo's main opposition leader, Moรฏse Katumbi, has been accused by the army of colluding with a rebel group to plan a coup.

Salomon Idi Kalonda was arrested last week at the airport in the capital, Kinshasa. He is a key figure in Katumbiโ€™s political campaign ahead of December presidential election.

His arrest has been described by the opposition as politically motivated, but Col Kangoli Ngoli of the military intelligence said that Kalonda had been โ€œregularlyโ€ talking to M23 rebel officers โ€œand Rwandan officersโ€.

โ€œThe aim was to overthrow the current authority in DR Congo by all possible means,โ€ Col Ngoli told.

#DRC

@africaintel
๐Ÿคฏ6๐Ÿค”3
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ณ Koranic teacher arrested on suspicion of raping 27 schoolgirls in Senegal

A Senegalese Koranic master suspected of raping 27 of his schoolgirls in Touba was arrested on Monday in the central Senegalese town after several weeks on the run.

The alleged rapist "was arrested after presenting himself to the police. After questioning, he was handed over to the gendarmerie. He had been on the run" for several weeks, said the Touba police chief.

Touba is considered a holy city by the Mourides, a major Muslim religious brotherhood in Senegal.

The Koranic master, whose age was not given, had disappeared since the case broke during the first quarter following a complaint from victims who produced medical certificates.

He is accused of "raping 27 pupils at his school in Touba". The alleged assaults took place over a period of time.

#Senegal

@africaintel
๐Ÿคฎ20๐Ÿคฌ10๐Ÿ‘4๐Ÿ˜2๐Ÿ”ฅ1
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ญ Ghana sends debt rework proposal to official creditors

Ghana has sent a debt restructuring proposal to its official creditors. The "working proposal" is a crucial first step for the cocoa, gold and oil producer to engage the official creditor committee after its formation in May and is not legally binding.

It marks the opening of a more detailed negotiating process that will likely see a number of proposals being exchanged.

Ghana intends to finish restructuring its domestic debt before turning to negotiations with its official, bilateral creditors and international bondholders, a government official said.

#Ghana

@africaintel
๐Ÿ‘Ž6๐Ÿ‘2
Africa Intel
๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ’ฐ Italy Prime Minister hopes trip to Tunisia may unblock IMF loan Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni will travel to Tunisia on Tuesday looking to make progress in unblocking loans from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for the north African state.โ€ฆ
๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ณ Italy's Prime Minister visits Tunisia to discuss migration

Italy's Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has travelled to Tunisia to discuss the issue of irregular migration.

Meloni's visit follows a call between her and President Kais Saied earlier this week, to address border surveillance and repatriation of undocumented migrants who cross the Mediterranean.

The two leaders were also expected to talk about energy questions and financial issues that Tunisia is facing.

Tunisia is trying to secure funds from the European Union while struggling with reforms requested by the International Monetary Fund.

Saied has challenged what he called IMF diktats after the body made the granting of a loan to Tunisia conditional on economic reforms and the lifting of certain state subsidies.

#Italy #Tunisia

@africaintel
๐Ÿคฎ21โค7๐Ÿ‘4๐Ÿ‘Ž1
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ณ Senegal shuts consulates abroad after attacks

Senegal has temporarily closed its consulates abroad following attacks on diplomatic missions in Bordeaux, Milan, Paris and New York among others.

The foreign affairs ministry said in a statement on Tuesday that the precautionary measure followed โ€œa series of aggressions that caused serious damageโ€.

The closures come amid political tensions in Senegal following the sentencing of opposition leader Ousmane Sonko last week to two years in prison which led to deadly protests.

Italian media reported on Monday that about 40 Sonko supporters had gathered outside the consulate with flags and anti-government signs - breaking in and ransacking the offices before the police intervened.

#Senegal

@africaintel
๐Ÿ˜5๐Ÿค”3๐Ÿ˜ฑ1
๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ช Kenya to turn cult forest into a memorial site

Kenyaโ€™s interior minister says the government will convert the Shakahola forest, where more than 250 members of a Christian cult followers died, into a national memorial.

Kithure Kindiki said once the recovery of the bodies buried in the 800-acre forest was complete, the place will be turned into โ€œa place of remembranceโ€ so that people donโ€™t forget what happened there.

He said the government had enough evidence to prosecute the leader of the cult and the main suspect, Pastor Paul Mackenzie, for genocide after he allegedly convinced his followers to fast to death in order to go to heaven.

Since the operation started in April, 251 bodies have been recovered. Ninety-five people have been rescued from the forest and 35 suspects arrested.

#Kenya

@africaintel
๐Ÿ‘10๐Ÿ”ฅ1๐ŸŒ1
๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Portuguese president on a state visit to South Africa

South Africa's leader welcomed on Tuesday his Portuguese counterpart.

Portugalโ€™s president who was on a state visit saw Lisbon and Pretoria signed an agreement on Defence Cooperation. Marcelo Rebelo De Sousa and his counterpart discussed the ongoing conflict in Mozambique.

The talks of the two nations leaders which took place in Pretoria also focused on opportunities of mutual benefit in science and innovation, education and energy.

Cyril Ramaphosa detailed during a press conference, the meeting he held the previous day with heads of states from Zambia, Senegal, the Republic of Congo, Uganda and Egypt. The Presidents confirmed their availability to travel to Ukraine and Russia in mid June, according to the Sout African presidency.

#Portugal #SouthAfrica

@africaintel
๐Ÿคก12๐Ÿ‘7๐Ÿ‘Ž2๐Ÿ‘Œ2๐ŸŒ2
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ณ Sudanese families seek safety in the Central African Republic

Families fleeing conflict in Sudan are seeking safety in the Central African Republic (CAR). The UNHCR says it is racing against time to relocate the thousands of arrivals before the rains come.

In the meantime the UNHCR and the World Food Programme (WFP) say they are attempting to build shelters, latrines and provide water and food for up to 14,000 refugees who have arrived in CAR.

The majority of new arrivals are women and children from Nyala in Sudan, who say they faced threats by armed men, extortion of goods, physical aggression and sexual violence. UNHCR said emergency teams were identifying and referring people with specific needs for protection, counselling or medical assistance.

#Sudan #CAR #UN

@africaintel
๐Ÿ‘5๐Ÿ˜1
๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡น Ethiopia rejects HRW accusations of "ethnic cleansing" in Tigray

The Ethiopian government on Tuesday rejected recent accusations by Human Rights Watch (HRW) of a campaign of "ethnic cleansing" in the western region of Tigray, which it said were not based on "any evidence".

In a report published on 1 June, the human rights organisation claims that paramilitary units and militias from the neighbouring Ahmara region continue to "forcibly expel Tigrayans" from the Western Tigray Zone "as part of a campaign of ethnic cleansing".

HRW "published these accusations without carrying out a rigorous and credible investigation in the areas concerned" and they "are not supported by any evidence", the Ethiopian government's Communications Service said.

"This distorted and misleading description of the situation is aimed at undermining peaceful coexistence, fuelling inter-ethnic conflict, and preventing national efforts for peace and reconciliation in Ethiopia", the government continued.

#Ethiopia

@africaintel
๐Ÿ‘6๐Ÿคฌ1
๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฉ Sudanese warring factions to resume indirect talks as clashes intensify

Sudan's warring military factions are restarting ceasefire talks sponsored by the United States and Saudi Arabia.

The fighting between the army and paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, now in its eighth week, has caught civilians in the crossfire, cutting of their access to basic services, and spread lawlessness.

Talks between warring factions collapsed last week after the mediators said there had been numerous serious violations.

Saudi-owned Al Arabiya said the two sides had agreed to indirect talks without providing details.

Burhan emphasized the need for the RSF to exit hospitals, public facilities, and homes and to open safe pathways in order for "the Jeddah platform" to succeed, the statement said.

#Sudan

@africaintel
๐Ÿ‘3๐ŸŒญ3